Thanks for all you have done to shut down groups like KKK and the Aryan Nations. And for starting Teaching Tolerance for students. But don't stop now! Especially with the disturbing increase in hate in America. Perhaps some day, violence, hatred and bigotry will just be footnotes in a history book. But not yet. Far from it
A call to action:
There are many ways that you can promote tolerance and fight hate. Try some of the following for starters:
- Speak up when you hear slurs. Let people know that bias speech is unacceptable. Apathy is as dangerous as hate.
- Cross social boundaries. Seek out opportunities to interact with people who are different from you. Eat lunch with someone new.
- Complain to media outlets when they promote stereotypes.
- Look inside yourself for hidden biases. Take a test at www.hiddenbias.org
- Encourage your local police force to identify bias-motivated criminal acts as hate crimes.