2007-10-28

I haven't watched Star Trek! OMG!

Forrest Sheng Bao http://fsbao.net

About 3 years ago, I stopped writing blog in Chinese. Then some friends object it coz they hate reading English. So I began to write my bilingual blog. But now I am too tired. It's really a time-consuming job to type Chinese.

-------I am a splitter----

I have heard many times from my geek friends about this TV show/Cartoon/Film series. I have seen its name on TV/movie fans websites many many times. But I think the reason why I am not interested on it before is because its Chinese name translation is not that attractive to reflect the meaning of a "trek". Its Chinese name is something like "Star Trips".

But today, I am regret. I am totally regret that I have never watched it even when few weeks ago I watched Prof. Randy Pausch's last lecture and he said he wanted to be Captain Kirk in his childhood. As a fan of NASA, as a fan of the movie series "Star Wars", as a fan of the PC game "Star Craft", as a fan of Karl Sagan, I am so regret for I haven't watched it before.

Today, I read the article on Wikipedia of "Star Trek" and I know it is a great loss for me, a geek who have never watched it. In order not to make other friends of mine regret after years, I would like to tell you something about this movie. You can also read more details from Wikipedia or Paramount's official website.

Star Trek is the title of a series of TV shows, a series of Cartons and a series of movies, as well as dozens of computer or video games. Wow, sounds like a much longer history than George Lucas's "Star Wars". Yes, might because Lucas Films spend more money and efforts on evangelize his story, many kids, like me, don't know Star Trek as famous as Star Wars.

Let's begin from the TV show part. There are 6 series TV shows which have already been played. They are:
Star Trek: The Original Series (1966–1969), abbrev. TOS
Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973–1974), abbrev. TAS
Star Trek: Phase II, hasn't been played, but revised into movie coz Paramount saw the success of "Star Wars"
Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994), abbrev. TNG
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993–1999), abbrev. DS9
Star Trek: Voyager (1995–2001), abbrev. VOY
Star Trek: Enterprise (2001–2005), abbrev. ENT

The DS9, VOY and ENT were filmed after the director Gene Roddenberry was dead.

So, how about the movies?

Paramount has produced ten Star Trek feature films, with an eleventh film currently in production. The first six films continue the adventures of the The Original Series cast, while the next four feature The Next Generation's cast. They are:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture December 7, 1979
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan June 4, 1982
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock June 1, 1984
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home November 26, 1986
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier June 9, 1989
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country December 6, 1991
Star Trek: Generations November 18, 1994
Star Trek: First Contact November 22, 1996
Star Trek: Insurrection December 11, 1998
Star Trek: Nemesis December 13, 2002
Star Trek To be released on December 25, 2008

The Star Trek series have deeply effected many people and even the culture of USA. Blah, blah, blah, etc. For example, NASA planned name their first space shuttle as "Constitution" as that year USA is 200 years old. But in response to fans of Star Trek, they renamed it to "Enterprise", which is the flag ship of Captain Kirk.

So, my friend, if you are in sciency (I learn this word from my sister, a word invented by her.) or engineering major, you should watch it. You may ask me why. The answer is, do you like Star Wars? Do you have the pleasure of knowing something new? Do you feel to explore the universe? Blah, blah, blah....

No comments: