2011-10-20

What is death?

A friend, a non-religious friend, lately had a conversation with me. Triggered by Steve Jobs's death, he gave me the best plain (no fancy scientific, philosophical or religious words) definition to death I have ever heard in my life.

He said, "Death means that you can no longer do things you wanna do."

That's right. That's a big reason when I was young I was so afraid of dying. I thought, "I will have to say bye to all my toys and all my games."

We are all gonna die.

We all have things we love to do and dreams we are chasing. But, "your time is limited."

From the movie "Bridge to Terabithia," I learned a quote of Teddy Roosevelt that "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Cherish the time that we can still do things we wanna do. It's very luxury.

PS: When I was young, i heard a Chinese proverb, saying "Given an inch of gold and an inch of time, you cannot buy the inch of time by the inch of gold." (一寸光阴一寸金,寸金难买寸光阴)

No comments: