2011-01-31

Giving up one of my animal instincts

by Forrest Sheng Bao http://fsbao.net

(This blog post is NOT allowed to be republished anywhere else without the written or electronic approval from me. It is NOT licensed under any CC licenses or GNU FDL. All rights reserved.)

ok, i made a decision tonight (Friday, Jan. 28, 2011). I am not gonna think about finding a wife until 30. There is a more than 50% chance that I will remain single until 35.

You may say that I am crazy - well, you shouldn't be surprised because i've never asked a girl for a date, though I vow to find one everyday. If I am really gonna do something, I will do it rather than talking all the time.

Life is like a buffet - not a box of chocolates here. My stomach has limited volume. So I can only eat dishes to which I have the strongest appetite.

A male monkey may want to have a wife. By nature, we humans have a greater instinct, making dreams. We can scarify anything for dreams that we value. E.g., we can die for freedom. So I am gonna give up one of my animal instincts for what I want the most in my life over the next few year, as follows.

1. Do some awesome research approaching some beautiful scientific and engineering dreams.
2. Work with energized people on wonderful projects in quite a few high-tech startups.
3. Devote some time on certain missions that are nontechnical but worth doing.

Erica said to Mark, according to the movie The Social Network, "But you are gonna go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know from the bottom of my heart that that won't be true. It'll be because you are an asshole."

So Mark ran back to the dorm and blogged "I need to do something to take my mind off her." Then he started the journey to build the one and only social network website, thefacebook - please drop the "the" on your own.

Oh, The Social Network is really a great movie. You should watch it. 

"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." -Theodore Roosevelt, Labor Day address, 1903

"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful...that's what matters to me." - Steve Jobs, on Gates and Microsoft, Wall Street Journal, summer 1993

"And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They some how already know what you truly want to become." - Steve Jobs, ``Stay hungry, Stay foolish,'' Graduation Commencement of Stanford University, 2005

"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs asked John Sculley when inviting John to join Apple from Pepsi.

No comments: