2008-11-26

Giving thanks to our God in Thanksgiving

by Forrest Sheng Bao http://fsbao.net

Almost 400 years ago, 102 people, prosecuted in England, left their country on a boat called Mayflower. People in their country did not like them and they were called Separatists, only because they intent to clean up the Catholic influence in the Church of England and they wanted to interpreter the Bible in their way rather than the way of the King of England. They came to the new land in a dream, a freedom dream.

Squanto, an native American taught them how to live in this new land. The next year, they had a harvest. So they gathered together to thank the God, because the reason they came the new land is to seek the freedom of Christianity.

400 years after that time, immigrants are still coming to the new land, which is now known as the United States of America. In the year 2007, 1.17 million people became the naturalized citizens of the US. No matter how poorly they once lived in their countries, no matter how badly they were treated in their countries, no matter how difficult for them to maintain their business, the American dream guided them to the new land, the “Promised land”, “the land flowing with milk and honey”, the land of hope, justice and opportunity.

God guided them to the new land and God also blessed them on this new land, as God blessed the Pilgrims to this land 400 years ago. No social connections, no money, nothing they processed in their own countries, how could new immigrants survive in the new land? The answer is the reason the coming holiday, the Thanksgiving Day. It's the God, who let us live well on this new land and fulfill our American Dreams.

So God, thank you. Thank you for guiding me to the new continent. Thank you for blessing my study and research after my arrival to the new continent. You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light (Psalm 18:28) Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. (Isaiah 40:31) Thanks for giving me the gift and chance to study science and engineering to understand the splendid world you created and benefit people for wonderful lives through my work. The more investigation I do, the more I firmly believe the existence of You. So I pray to you for more good luck on my academic career. Lord, thank you for your grace that I have been saved by believing in the name of your Son, Jesus Christ. There are many people out there who still have never heard your gospel. And because your spirit did not enter their hearts, so many horrible things are happening every day. Please use me and send me to the people who need you.

Lord, I also want to pray for a girl and I guess you know who she is. She studies so hard that she doesn't have enough sleep everyday. She has some health issues. So, please bless her to be healthy and happy to fulfill her dreams.

Finally, thanks God for giving us your one and only Son to wash away our sin. Thanks for giving us the chance to not be separated from you any more.

In the name of Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.

No comments: