2008-07-16

Linksys WUSB54GC on Mac OS 10.4

by Forrest Sheng Bao http://fsbao.net

I just a got an eMac with only $20. It comes with Ubuntu 6.06 for PowerPC. Well, Ubuntu doesn't support PowerPC Mac anymore, only ports for PowerPC Mac and IBM PowerPC/Cell servers. No, I don't like them. It wastes me almost one day to make it work, including copying the xorg.conf of OpenSuSE to my Ubuntu on PowerPC. But, the Ubuntu still couldn't start X. SuSE is so stupid and slowly. I don't like it either.

So, I decided to return to Mac OS. I have no Ethernet at home, but a free Wi-Fi. Then I gotta make my USB wireless network adapter work. Here is how to make it:
  1. Download the driver: http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/RTUSB%20D70-1.1.3.0%20D71W-1.1.7.0%20UI-1.3.0.0_2006_11_10.dmg
  2. Install it as usual
  3. cd /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/
  4. sudo vi Info.plist
  5. Edit any key like this (Blogger filtered all XML tags) :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=235917


  6. Save the file and do like these last two steps:
es112:/System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents forrest$ sudo /usr/sbin/kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
es112:/System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents forrest$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/ loaded successfully
Then plug the USB wireless adapter and you will find a network interface.

But I still don't know how to set WEP keys on Mac OS X. Could someone help me?

No comments: