2007-12-05

Thanks to God, we got the $35, 000 research grant.

by Forrest Sheng Bao http://fsbao.net

We are now the winner of Research Enrichment Fund Grant Competition of Texas Tech 2007. The total amount is $35,000, including my salary and travel expenses.

Although this grant is available for 1 and a half year, since I spend less than 1, 000 dollars per month, I don't need to look for money in the next 3 years till I get my PhD degree on Computer Science and MSc on Electrical Engineering. My salary now increases to $1,700/mo.

Neat! It's really neat. I can live on my intelligence and doing research I like without worrying about hunger. I love "Republic of Texas". Since I moved to Texas 3 months ago, I have got a $25, 000 scholarship and this $35, 000 research grant. Since the policy of State of Texas to attract human resources, I don't need to pay Texas state tax in the next 5 years. I would like to be a graduate student all my life. It is really important to keep graduate student above property line, o/w it is impossible for them to focus on research but other life issues. I had a friend in China who gets only 400 bulks in 3 months from his supervisor. Man, I wanna ask his supervisor "Are you going to let your student do research or not?" Someone in somewhere is really talking about "mission impossible"- to build a first tie university in the world without paying graduate students the stipend higher than minimum social security benefit.

Hmm, I am rich now. I plan to purchase a Chevrolet gas-free hybrid-model car, using ethanol, rechargable battery and fuel cell. It's only $10, 000.


I plan to engineer it using solar cells. Even I wanna apply AI techniques to improve its energy efficiency. This is a candidate topic on which I plan to earn my PhD on Electrical Engineering. It is a faith in my heart that biomedical engineering and green energy are field with great expectation of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. So I decided to ask the sales representative of Chevrolet, "Do you open source your car? What microprocessor do you use on your car?" I want this car which is the most advanced toy I can afford. It is much funnier than LEGO robot. When I was in the high school, I programmed LEGO MCU in LabVIEW(the LabVIEW modified by LEGO from National Instruments) to control a mechanical arm through motors so that the robot can shot basketball. I am no more a kid so it is not fun to me now. I need some high-tech one. Since I watched the sci-fi TV show "Knight Rider", I wanted to have a car armed by AI and running on endless energy. Since I watched the environmentalist cartoon "Captain Planet and the Planeteers", I wanted to contribute the environmental protection. I still remember the words of Captain Planet: "By YOUR powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"

This is the power of the dream. Many animals standing on the ground by 4 arms/legs. We just need 2 legs because we have dream, the most powerful crutch. We stand on the ground not by legs, but by dreams. Dreaming, makes us different from our monkey relatives. Do you like dreaming? If you like, go to study engineering to "fly yourself". Engineering our dreams!

So we should thank God to empowering us the ability to dream.
Thanks God, for giving me the chance, when I was a kid, to not study hard but watch "Knight Rider" or "Captain Planet and Planeteers", clarifying me the meaning and motivation of my life rather than losting my live in straight-A records.

Thanks God, for giving us the food.
Thanks God, for giving us the land, the Promised Land, the Land in God We Trust.
Thanks God, for giving us the chance to understand the mythic universe you created.
Thanks God, for giving us the possibility to create an intelligent system to honor your glory.
And finally, I pray again to you to endow me a beautiful wife.
===========================================================================
感谢上帝,我们终于发财了。

by Forrest Sheng Bao http://fsbao.net

我们刚刚成为2007年得克萨斯理工促进研究经费的获胜者。 总额高达3.5万美金。其中包括我的工资和旅行支出。

虽然这个经费的周期是一年半,但是由于我每月花不到1000美元,在未来3年内我都不用再去找钱了,直到我获得在计算机科学上的博士学位和在电机工程学上的硕士学位。我的工资现在已经涨到1700美元/月。

太爽了。真的太爽了。我可以通过我的智慧而谋生,并且无须考虑饥饿就去研究我想作的研究。我爱“得克萨斯共和国”。自从3个月前我来到得克萨斯,我已经从德州政府手中获得了2.5万元的奖学金和这个3.5万元的研究经费。并且由于德州吸引人才的优惠政策,我在未来5年内,不需交纳德州的州税。我简直想一辈子都做研究生。让研究生不至于落入贫困线以下,真的很重要,否则他们就无法集中精力在研究上。我有一个朋友在中国,他的指导教授3个月内才给了他400块钱。我简直想问问他的指导教授“你还想不想让你的研究生作研究”。某些地方的某些人总在讨论“不可能的任务”-创建世界一流大学但是却不给研究生高于最低生活保障线的工资。

哈哈,我现在有钱了。我决定去买一个雪佛莱不用汽油的混合模式汽车,使用酒精,蓄电池和燃料电池。它只要1万美金。



我还想把他改装成能够使用太阳能电池。我甚至准备把人工智能技术应用到提高它的能源效率上。这是我准备用来获得我电机工程学博士学位的一个候选课题。我自认为生物医学工程和绿色能源是大有前途的电机工程与计算机科学的应用领域。所以我决定去问雪佛莱的销售代表,“你开源你的汽车了吗?你的汽车用什么处理器?” 我想要这俩汽车,目前我有能力购买的最高级的玩具,比乐高的机器人好玩一点。我在高中时候用LabVIEW(其实是乐高改造过的LabVIEW)给乐高的单片机编程,让他控制电机转动一个机械臂,去使得机器人投篮。但我不再是小孩,所以现在我已经玩腻了这个东西,我需要高级一点的。自从我从小看了科幻电视剧“霹雳游侠”以来,我就想拥有一个具有人工智能和用之不尽能源的汽车。自从我从小看了环保动画片“地球超人”以来,我就想为环保而贡献力量。我依旧记得地球超人的话语:”把你们的力量结合起来,我就是地球超人!“

这就是梦想的力量。很多动物要用4条腿/胳膊站在地上。我们只要2条腿,因为我们有梦想,最强大的拐杖。我们不是靠双腿站立的,而是梦想。梦想,使我们有别于我们的猴子亲戚。 你喜欢做梦吗?如果喜欢,那么就去学工程来让你飞翔。工程我们的梦想!

所以我们要感谢上帝,赐予我们做梦的本领。
感谢上帝,赐予我从小不好好学习,而偷看“霹雳游侠”或者“地球超人”之类电视节目的机会,因为他们让我明白了我生活的意义和动力,而不是沉迷于90分100分当中却迷失生活的方向。

感谢上帝,赐予我们食物。
感谢上帝,赐予我们这片应许之地,这片“我们相信上帝”的土地。
感谢上帝,赐予我们理解你所创造的神奇宇宙的机会。
感谢上帝,赐予我们创造智能系统来彰显你的荣耀的可能。
最后,我再次向你祈祷,请求你赐予我一个美丽的妻子。

No comments: